In my mind, student conferences will now be called “Please Don’t Shoot Up Me and the Class Conferences.” The previous forum used to focus primarily on student drafts, getting to know them, improvements they can make, what they’re doing right, etc. Now the focus will be on acting super sweet, eye contact (nonthreatening/non challenging), brushing the forearm, finding common ground, in-depth discussion of my favorite violent video games, etc. The purpose will be to keep potential shooters from acting out in my class. My hope is that all students will continue to believe that the conferences are about their essays.
Last night Boyfriend took me out to a fancy dinner and then afterwards went to a Marilyn Manson concert (because that’s what young men are into apparently). After extensive Googling, Wikipediaing, and listening to a few albums, I decided I would go. But, chickened out after unshakable images of being raped by a rusty nail or having to eat part of a human baby.
The latest news of the school shooting is terrifying. Schools are so vulnerable. One of my former students is currently in jail awaiting trial for owning an illegal stockpile of guns and ammunition. He played violent video games, made violent doodlings and implied to others that he wanted to be involved with a mass school shooting.
As a student he seemed to hate everyone. He seemed so angry. I assumed it was a cultural misunderstanding and tried to stay positive. I’m never sure whether to mention the fact that he was from Ethiopia.
Last night I saw Walk Hard and loved it. (But, it should be noted that I usually love these kinds of comedies.)
Sam: Get outta here, Dewey!
Dewey Cox: What are y’all doin’ in here?
Sam: We’re smoking reefer and you don’t want no part of this shit.
Dewey Cox: You’re smoking *reefers*?
Sam: Yeah, ‘course we are; can’t you smell it?
Dewey Cox: No, Sam. I can’t.
Girl Groupie: Come on, Dewey! Join the party!
[takes a hit off a joint]
Sam: No, Dewey, you don’t want this. Get outta here!
Dewey Cox: You know what, I don’t want no hangover. I can’t get no hangover.
Sam: It doesn’t give you a hangover!
Dewey Cox: Wha-I get addicted to it or something?
Sam: It’s not habit-forming!
Dewey Cox: Oh, okay… well, I don’t know… I don’t want to overdose on it.
Sam: You can’t OD on it!
Dewey Cox: It’s not gonna make me wanna have sex, is it?
Sam: It makes sex even better!
Dewey Cox: Sounds kind of expensive.
Sam: It’s the cheapest drug there is.
Dewey Cox: [at a loss and out of excuses] Hmm.
Sam: You don’t want it!
Dewey Cox: I think I kinda want it.
I do not know who to vote for and therefore may not vote.
1) Are you currently in a serious relationship?
2) What was your dream growing up?
3) What talent do you wish you had?
4) If I bought you a drink what would it be?
5) Favorite vegetable?
6) What was the last book you read?
7) What zodiac sign are you?
8) Any Tattoos and/or Piercings? Explain where.
9) Worst Habit?
10) If you saw me walking down the street would you offer me a ride?
11) What is your favorite sport?
12) Do you have a Negative or Optimistic attitude?
13) What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?
14) Worst thing to ever happen to you?
15) Tell me one weird fact about you.
16) Do you have any pets?
17) What if I showed up at your house unexpectedly?
18) What was your first impression of me?
19) Do you think clowns are cute or scary?
20) If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?
21) Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?
22) What color eyes do you have?
23) Ever been arrested?
24) Bottle or can soda?
25) If you won $10,000 today, what would you do with it?
27) What’s your favorite place to hang at?
28) Do you believe in ghosts?
29) Favorite thing to do in your spare time?
30) Do you swear a lot?
31) Biggest pet peeve?
32) In one word, how would you describe yourself?
33) Do you believe/appreciate romance?
35) Do you believe in God?
36) Will you repost this so I can fill it out and do the same for you?