Ok, it’s official. I’ve sent the text messages and the emails to confirm that I will not be getting a retired racing greyhound. Once again, I had an allergic reaction to the dog, and dealing with a new allergy is just not something I’m willing to take on at this time. I’m sad to reach this decision because I really love the breed, but I am allergic to these dogs–which I hope I can remember in a few weeks when I really want to get one again!–so they are not an option for me.
I’ll probably still get a dog, but not right now. I did a lot of research on the retired racing greyhound, and I’m sad that I won’t be able to get one. The only drawback was that they can’t be off leash. That puts a damper on camping and hiking. I loved everything else about the breed, though. I love the way they look. I love their history. I love their peaceful demeanor. I love the personality traits typical of the breed.
Now I have to start my research process all over again. I am hoping that if I stay open to the possibility, the right dog/breed of dog will find me. So, I’m doing more research. I don’t really want a puppy. I’ll probably end up with a smaller dog and one that is more traditionally hypoallergenic like some sort of terrier/poodle/shih tzu mix. Small enough that there isn’t a lot of dog to have an allergic reaction to in the first place, but big enough that it won’t get swooped up by a hawk. Knowing me, my need to research everything, and my schedule, it might not happen for awhile. In the meantime, the search continues.