bigfoot sighting in provo canyon

I’ve only been hysterical two times in my life. I’m not sure if hysterical is exactly the right word, but it’s the only thing that comes to mind. The first time I was in high school. My parents sat us down on the couch to tell as that my mom had to have a biopsy. When I feel emotional, usually tears well up very slowly. But this time, I immediately started bawling. I would be surprised if tears were splashing everywhere like they do in cartoons. It turned out to be a nonevent. The biopsy revealed there to be nothing wrong. I probably wouldn’t even remember it if not for the weird physical reaction I had.

The second time I became hysterical was when my boo was camping out in the mountains of Utah. If you’ve ever been to Utah, you know that it is home to some of the biggest, steepest, most rugged and beautiful mountains in the US. He was camping alone, with limited supplies. He had hiked in and so there was no quick access to civilization. Occasionally, he could go out and get one bar of cell reception, and he would call and check in. One night I received a very late phone call from him. I was alarmed that he was calling so late, and indeed, he felt that something was not right. He could hear something walking around and sniffing, but it was too dark to see anything.

I had a flashback to my own recent experience camping. Something that sounded very much like a bear walked around the campsite and sniffed the tent. The next morning, a bear sort of confirmed my suspicions by running across the road in front of the car. It doesn’t help that I’ve seen the movie Grizzly Man, and my father, an avid hunter and outdoors man has done his part to instill a healthy fear of predators such as bear and cougars. Having grown up in the country, stories of frightening encounters with these animals is not just lore. This stuff actually happens to people whom I know.

So when I got the call that night, I immediately assumed that what he was hearing was a bear. We spoke briefly, but the tone was uncharacteristically serious. We stayed positive and said comforting things to each other. I think we were both trying to disguise that we were both really freaked out. When he didn’t call to check in the next morning, I became hysterical. While it was not typical for him to call, I thought he would given the nature of our conversation the night before. I stayed in a state of hysterics until I eventually heard from him. It was a completely surreal day. Although I knew it was completely unlikely that he had been harmed, and the chances of being killed by a bear are incredibly slim, I could not be consoled by friends. Not even by my own mother.

That was a long time ago, and he’s fine. But, when this video of a bigfoot sighting in provo canyon was posted online (and reported by major news outlets), I had a flashback to those moments of hysteria. The terrain looks eerily similar to where he was camping. I mean, this could be the exact same canyon. I am really hesitant to indulge conspiracy theories, but I’ll admit that part of me is tempted to imagine that the sounds and eerie presence that night was that of a bigfoot.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s